IS GOUACHE WATERCOLOUR?

 Yes it is but with a huge difference!

It is created with the same pigments + Water with added Gum Arabique which is a binding agent.

Consequently the paint is opaque and does not perform like a  Watercolour.

When working in Watercolour you can add Gum Arabic as a medium that will extend the drying time and gives you time to manipulate the work for a longer time and some watercolours contains a small amount of Gum Arabic. It can be lift up as it doesn’t dry permanently 

Coming back to gouache, you can find many different kinds.. from the children paint to more professional quality paints.

Some are for designers. I found them very vibrant slightly garish for my style of painting.

You have to be aware when applying the paint, the layers must be minimal as too much can end up powdery and build up on the surface.

In my case, I like to apply the paint well diluted and thinly.

Dark colours dry lighter and light colours dry darker.

Personally if I want to paint with gouache, I build up a painting in Watercolour and come back with gouache.

However, some paintings created uniquely in gouache, if well executed can be very attractive.

Many artists have used gouache with Pastel, Pencils……

Have a look at this educational link:

https://arthive.com/techniques/gouache

You will find the works of past masters.

Gouache Talens is my favourite. It is very fine with beautiful colours.

Below, a gouache executed on Watercolour. Inspired by a corner of my home town where I walk my dog.



 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

MAGIC MOMENTS

  MAGIC MOMENTS Winsor Newton watercolour paint on paper Saunders Waterford NOT FOR SALE

Popular posts